Large format stores such as hyper-marts encourage competition and quality in the retail market due to purchasing power and modern retailing practices. Since its liberalisation in 1995, the sector has grown significantly and the market is now made up of a healthy mix of both local and foreign players.
Under one of the projects within the Wholesale & Retail NKEA of the Economic Transformation Programme, large format store space is to be increased by 50% from the current 1.4 million square metres by 2020 through the establishment of 61 new hypermarkets and 163 new superstores. To date since 2011, 27 hypermarkets and 34 superstores have been established.
- Will large format stores cannibalise smaller businesses?
- Successful co-operation models between SMEs
- Upping the ante on quality – how can SMEs impress hypermarts enough to pick up their products?
That ever elusive win-win situation – can there be perfect balance between industry growth and competitive pricing?
At the upcoming Industry Speaks titled “Doing Business with Hypermarkets – What’s the Hype?”, these issues and more will be tackled by a dynamic panel comprising:
- Datuk Wira (Dr.) Haji Ameer Ali Mydin, Managing Director, Mydin Holdings Berhad
- Mr Georg Fischer, Chief Executive Officer, Tesco Malaysia
- En Meor Kamal Azhar, Senior Director, Business Development Division, SME Corp. Malaysia
- Mr Hernan Sanchez, General Manager, Kantar Worldpanel Malaysia
- Mr Umapagan Ampikaipakan, BFM (Moderator)
Details of the event are as follows:
Time: 4.00pm – 5.00pm (Registration starts at 3.30pm)
Date: 19th September 2014 (Friday)
Venue: Fiercer Curry House, D1-G3-5 Publika Shopping Gallery
Jalan Dutamas 1, Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur 50480, Malaysia
Who Should Attend
Corporate executives, entrepreneurs, working professionals, NGOs, and interested individuals. Admission is FREE. Seats are however limited and will be allocated on a first-come first-served basis.
About Industry Speaks
Industry Speaks is presented by Economic Transformation Programme’s Business Circle. It is a platform that aims to create dialogue between leaders and experts within the business sector, provide an avenue for immersive discussions, and share new ideas across a range of topics. It is held regularly and open to the public. For more information on previous Industry Speaks event, click here: /section/industry-speaks/
Should you have any enquiry, please email [email protected].
Please RSVP by 15th September 2014 by visiting http://hypermarkets.eventbrite.com/